Making a Candle with a Microwave



I don't have a double-boiler or anything, so I used some common sense and got crafty with melting the wax.

Here's what you'll need to make some microwave candles:


Wax
Wicks
Some kind of scent (I chose "translucent waters" and apple blossoms to mix)
Something to put the candle in -- use either glass or ceramic since tin/plastic DOES NOT GO IN THE MICROWAVE and plastic is simply not smart next to a flame, people.

Extras:
Something to stir with (butterknife)
Something to hold the wick in place for drying (fork)

I took my blocks of wax (one package) and broke it up to somewhat fit into my ceramic bowl. I didn't want wax on some random bowl I use at my apartment, so I microwaved directly in the container I was using for the candle (less clean up).

I began by microwaving for two minutes. It began to soften, but still had the shape of the wax blocks. I took this chance to push it farther into the bowl and throw it back in the microwave.


I then microwaved for two more minutes and by this point, it was pretty much melted except for some remaining pieces. This is where the stirring comes in. You want those remaining pieces to melt. Take this moment to drop in some of the scents.


Continue to stir and drop in the scent oil. This is to preference, so just keep smelling and dropping in the oil.


After this step is complete, you'll want to center your wick in the melted wax.



It's hard to get it to stay put in the middle, so this is where the fork comes in. Thread the wick through the fork prong and rest the fork over the candle. I've seen people use pencils too, but a fork was handier at the moment.



Now let it sit! It should look like this in about an hour, but don't move it even if it looks dry! Wait at least four hours before moving the fork.



After it's all said and done, you should have a pretty awesome candle to enjoy and you can take satisfaction in the fact that it would've probably been $25 at Anthropologie. You're welcome.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.