The Best Drugstore & Fancy Makeup Out There For Both Everyday Use And Special Occasions

*this post includes both department store brands AND drugstore brands.

A common theme has emerged from folks on asking what makeup I use (and swear by) on the day-to-day grind. I think this comes up because A. I don't wear a ton of makeup, and B. the makeup I do wear, I know how to put on so it holds up and looks fresh as hell.

Turn away if you are a heavy makeup user and/or professional, because this is not the post for you! I also try to steer clear of brands that test on animals. Dripping mascara into a bunny's eye is not fucking worth it people. I'm looking at you, L'Oreal, MAC, Maybelline, CoverGirl, Revlon, etc.

I hope this will help those who simply want a list of some solid products, tried and tested, that won't give them floating head syndrome (exhibit A, see #1) or feel heavy on the face (exhibit B).

So why should you trust me? Well, I am you. I am not in a theater production. I am not a Kardashian. I do not want a full face of MAC on every day. Do I get glammed up occasionally? Yes, but I like things easy, light and wearable for daily use.

Secondly, I test makeup A LOT. I try things out, I vocally hate them, and then I find something new, and new, and new again, until I absolutely adore it. Anything that is on here is something I adore. Those who I have shared these magnificent secrets with also tend to adore them too.

My tried and true go-to makeup for day-to-day use.

1. Milani Lip Liner, Drugstore - About $5 @CVS Pharmacy



This lip liner is BANGIN'. I own just about everything in lip products, from the good ol' CoverGirl Outlast to multiple Kylie Lip Kits. Nothing beats this lip liner. SECRET: don't use it as a lip liner. Use it as an all over, fill in you lips, lip color. It's matte, not flaky, moist, and holds up for hours. It's also insanely cheap and you literally cannot beat this lip product in any Barneys or Bloomies. I promise.

My favorite shades? Nude and All Natural. Spice is gorgeous too and I recently scored the super fun, Haute Pink. 

get it here!

2. e.l.f Eyeliner Waterproof Eyeliner Pen, Drugstore - Literally $2 @Target




Ahh, eyeliner, how I hate you so. I refuse to use a little pot of liquid to line my eyes. I'm also not talented with a brush, so a marker gets the job done for me. It's easy to control and this one holds up throughout the day. No flakes, no running, no moving around. It stays put and it makes a great line.

grab it here.

3. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum SPF 20, Fancy - $45 @Sephora


Good god, is this thing worth the small fortune it costs. This is the LIGHTEST, MOST WONDERFUL tinted moisturizer in the history of the world. This was made for day-to-day use and you just need a small amount to not only moisturize your face but also even your complexion a bit and throw on some SPF. There is no dupe, I'm sad to say and if anyone tells you there is, they are a liar. This product is a no-brainer and performs miracles.

get that here.

4. Benefit Brow Box, Fancy - About $30 @Sephora

The angled brush and actual artistry behind brows are completely lost on me, but I do understand the importance of giving a little color to my brows, especially as a blonde. This little guy gets the job done. I use the lighter color and the "blending brush" to just do a clean sweep. It lasts a long time and goes on wonderfully! No weird pastes or goop on your brows, just a basic sweep of color that stays on.


5. Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder, Fancy - About $49 @Sephora
I've used this powder for about 6 years – and made this hefty purchase only twice. I just find it so satifying to freshly grind my powder in the morn'. But seriously, this stuff is great. Lightweight, good coverage, and perfect for light, easy, everyday use.

grab it here.

6. Naked 1 Palette, Fancy - About $54 @Sephora
Ahh, the original Naked Palette in all of its glory. This palette has been my go-to to many occasions and since they're so pricey, I always stuck with the original. They have some additional offerings (Naked 2, Naked Smokey), but the browns in this one really complement multiple skin tones and can be used heavy or light, which is why it gets the #1 spot over the others.

get it here.

7. Milani Lash Trifecta, Drugstore - About $9 @CVS
Can we just have a moment of silence for the fact that I finally found a mascara that is amazing, not tested on animals, and does not require a second income to afford? This is fantastic. No flaking, no running, nothing. It goes on smooth, separates everything, and looks fabulous. Great everyday mascara that you will not regret purchasing.

grab it here.

8. Kylie Lip Kit in Candy K, Fancy - About $29 @Kylie Cosmetics
I'm sorry to join the hoards of teeny-bopper sheeple, but Kylie Jenner knocks it out of the park with her lip line. They smell wonderful, they're not insanely expensive, and they LAST.

This particular one, Candy K, I've dubbed as the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants of lip colors – looks poppin' on everyone who puts it on. It does run a bit dark, so if you want to go a little more natural or lighter, Koko K is also wonderful. If you're not an everyday lip color wearer, no worries. This would be a great purchase for special occasions. Mary Jo K is a gorgeous shade of red, along with Kristen, with a bit of an orangey, red, pink hue.

grab it here.

That's it for now! This will be updated as I fall in love with more products, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.